Nuraghe Losa is an impressive complex nuraghe on the highland plateau of Abbasanta. The structure consists of a central tower and bastions with three additional towers forming a rounded triangle. The nuraghe is situated in a strategic position along the ancient road from the Bay of Oristano to the highlands behind Macomer. Around the nuraghe there are remains of the village that was protected by a wall with gates, and that was inhabited well into the Middle Ages. There is also a small museum that tells the history of the monument with a small exhibition of archaeologcal
Nuraghe Losa is one of the complex nuraghi in Sardinia. The nuraghe consists of a central tower, estimated at 19 metres of height with three floors, and three additional towers of two floors. As opposed to the most complex nuraghi Nuraghe Losa does not have an internal courtyard. This determines the massif aspect and the triangular form with rounded angles with the four towers standing out on a large platform. The nuraghe itself is the centre of a larger area with a wall around it and traces of huts and burials. A small museum contains some of the finds of the area. The site can be reached easily at the junction of Nuoro on the SS131 Carlo Felice near Abbasanta.
What remains of the orginal nuraghe is in itself impressive. From the plaform a wide view overlooks the highland plateau. The main entrance is on the southeast side and gives access to the central tower through a small corridor crossing another corridor and the stairway. The central room of the nuraghe has three niches. Two of the other towers can be reached through lateral corridors. The southern tower no longer has an intact cupola ceiling and you can see the sky above. The stairway leads to the platform and the second floor of the central tower, winding up within the massif walls. The second floor is mostly gone and the platform is no longer freely accessible. The stairway continues until it stops above the opening that brings you to the platform, winding around the second floor. It is assumed a third floor was above that, completely missing now.
Curious enough the central tower also contains a secret passage leading from the stairway to the central chamber. It is thought that the large and high space of the central chamber was divided horizontally by a floor in wood, not unlike Su Nuraxi at Barumini, probably accessible through a wooden ladder. The large platform on top of the nuraghe was broader than the nuraghe itself and slightly overhanging. This is deduced from the large stones on the edge and found all around the nuraghe that were used to sustain the platform and the miniature models of nuraghi that have been found all around Sardinia. At the northern side a second opening gives access to the third tower, the northern tower. From this tower a second independent stairway reaches up to the plaform. The impression is that the nuraghe is a labyrinth of corridors and rooms.
Chronologically the construction of the central tower is estimated between 2000 and 1800 BC according to some archaeologists and between 1200 and 1000 BC according to others. Dates depend on C14 methods used to date organical material like pieces of wood that are still in place in the wall. Nuraghe Losa is in a unique state making the construction techniques particularly visible; the tholos formed rooms, the walls where the size of the stones are large at the bottom and small at the top. Also more classical elements can be found in the smaller adjoining towers around the nuraghe like the loop-holes.
These smaller towers are placed beside the nuraghe and joined by a wall. It is not clear whether these are defensive walls, because they do not protect the nuraghe at the most important side. Around the nuraghe other structures have been excavated; several huts and in particular the round hut in front of the entrance of the nuraghe. Of this last hut the function is not yet clear. The area was also used as a burial site, with large stones carved out to contain the ashes of the dead, and covered with a slab. These stones often can be found also near farms and houses where the people use them as drinking bowl for animals.
The wall around the larger area of Nuraghe Losa and the remains of the village has two gates; round structures with doorways. One of these is near the small museum on the southwest side of the archaeological site.
1. Lilliu, G. 1982: La Civiltà Nuragica, Sassari
2. Lilliu,G. 2003: La civiltà dei Sardi dal paleolitico all'età dei nuraghi, Nuoro
3. Manca, G. 2004: Il nuraghe Losa e la civiltà nuragica, Ghilarza
4. Melis, P. 2003, Civiltà Nuragica, Sassari
Address: Abbasanta SS131 junction to Nuoro
tel. +39 0785 54058/823 (coop), 0785 52302; 329 7260732
Openingtimes: summer 9:00-sundown;winter 8:30-18:30
Prices: Euro 5,00 ; Euro 3,50 (groups) ; Euro 2,50 (children)
Managed by Coop Paleotur '95, corso Umberto, Ghilarza
The information has been updated for 2016 but prices and opening hours may vary.