Carloforte is the main town on the small island of San Pietro. In 1738 the town was founded by the Genovese inhabitants of the island of Tabarca near the African coast. King Carlo Emanuele III allowed them to take possession of the island of San Pietro. They brought with them the cultural heritage of the Genovese and the north Africans. Another part of the tabarchini founded Calasetta on the island of Sant'Antioco.
Regular ferry connections between Calasetta and Carloforte and between Portoscuso and Carloforte, also for cars.